Moving from primary to secondary school is a process all students undergo and can be quite daunting. Transitioning is also a crucial stage in a pre-teen child’s development, as their experiences at the time can significantly impact their later academic and social skills.
For parents, the leap from primary to post-primary education can be difficult, with real concerns about their child’s ability to adjust to a new environment. Ensuring this transition is smooth is important for everyone involved, not least the student themselves.
- Transitions: A Guide For Parents & Educators (Welsh Assembly Government)
All children moving to secondary school experience change, some less than others. Whatever the level of change, remember to support all children, especially the first few months at a new school. Many children transitioning have extra issues to accommodate. One example is a child who is deaf or hard-of-hearing, who faces the same challenges as any children moving to a new school, with even the most resilient child finding this daunting!
Smooth transition for a child with hearing issues:
- Visit a new school so the child knows its layout. A small map may help.
- If your child will travel independently to school, rehearse the route.
- If possible, arrange to meet teachers at a new school before moving. This prepares the child for lip-reading in these teachers’ classes.
- Have a sheet of names & photos of teachers & classmates, if possible.
- Encourage your child to get involved in extra-curricular activities at the school. This creates an additional support network beyond classmates.
Every child deals differently with change, but a simple tip is, to remind your child that it’s a change for everyone, and they are all in the same boat!
(compiled by Nicola Fox)
- Transitions: A Guide for Parents and Educators
- Different Mainstreaming Models for Deaf Children
- Leaving Cert Languages and Deaf Students
- State Exam Accommodations For Deaf Students
- Website Makes Irish Accessible To Deaf Students
- The Visiting Teacher Service: Background Details