The first-ever National Deaf Children’s Society ‘Change Your World’ survey, mentioned on IDK in January 2008, had some interesting results.
A total of 1,468 responses were received from deaf UK youngsters aged 9 to 18, with 255 responses from parents and 188 from professionals.
- Levels of deafness had a strong impact on the responses
- Deaf children and youngsters requested a range of activities, segmented to their needs
- They also want to meet other deaf youngsters in a fun environment, although this ranged with degree of deafness
- Individually mainstreamed deaf children showed greater demand for activities involving both deaf and hearing children
- Oral deaf children showed a preference for activities with deaf and hearing children, in contrast to signing children
- In general, parents & professionals thought NDCS should provide activities for deaf youngsters, together with hearing peers
NDCS is now considering how to serve these youngsters, and the best possible partners with which to deliver the services they requested.
Survey Results (PDF format):